Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 3:

Friday June 17 2011,

Dear Davis,

I skipped volunteering Tuesday and Thursday in order to catch up with my math homework, I am shamed. As *not* much fun as picking up Dog defecation is, I missed it. I guess, even with the amount of work it is, I feel like I'm doing something (I still moan and groan getting out of bed, but you can't blame me, it's a twenty minute drive on a good morning with no traffic).

Anyways, I was caught blissfully unawares by a phone call from the volunteer coordinator on Thursday who needed help stat. Since you're not aware let me explain to you what my work scheduele on the weekend looks like: Friday/Saturday 11:15pm-5:15pm. And Sunday 9am-1pm. Such a trooper (and really trying to get this ridiculous amount of hours done, I volunteered to come in around 8am until 10:30am- pun intended so don't pardon it).

True to my word, I went in early in the morning and settled down to the long task of moving kittens from the kennels into holding kennels, cleaning it out, replacing litter boxes, water, food, towells and toys (some kittens endear themselves by burying their toys in their litter boxes and/or water bowls). Their are about 6 or 7 kitten kennels. And then the dog rooms of which their are three. That means removing urinated on papers, defecation, inspecting blankets for filth, as well as toys, bleaching it all down (which I do to the kitten kennels just so you know) putting paper down, putting the puppies back to watch them ruin all of my good work in 5.2 seconds flat. and then look at my with little eyes trying to say "see! come play, its fun!"

After all that fun time, I proceeded to move adult/teen cats back into the adult cat room, because they finished painting it and re-doing the floors. I wrestled with some cats, I was knicked once because another volunteer decided to take a dog through the hallway in the middle of all the chaos. It did not bode well for me, but it was just a little knick on my finger it could have been worse.

After that, I went to check in on Marbles and see if he was progressing. Sadly, Marbles has been moved to the clinic because he is not doing well. I'm sad about him, because I really liked him.

Oh-- the emergency that brought me in to work was a bunch of animals recieved from county. Two cockerspaniels that are going to rescue groups (non-adoptable, they're like going to a retirement home, so I'm happy). And 5 other puppies that I have yet to see (or clean up after thankfully!).

Time in: 8am Time Out: 10:30.

T-minus 3,490.5 hours til Davis.

No comments:

Post a Comment